Jenin: In the northern West Bank city of Jenin, Israeli occupation forces (IOF) on Thursday shut down the headquarters of the Jenin Central Zakat Committee. According to media reports, Israeli soldiers raided the building, vandalized the office, destroyed property, and took some equipment with them.
According to eyewitnesses, the soldiers entered the committee’s office, broke windows, and damaged property inside. The committee’s head, Samir Al-Souki, said that when employees arrived at the office around 8:30 a.m., they found the headquarters sealed shut. Notices in Arabic and English had been posted on the doors, accusing the committee of ‘supporting terrorism’ and announcing that it had been closed by the Israeli army.
Al-Souki said that employees were not allowed to enter the office, and so far no staff member has been permitted to go inside to fully assess the damage. However, clear signs of heavy vandalism can be seen at the building’s entrance and on the stairways.
He stated that papers and other items were scattered throughout the office, while chairs, electronic equipment, photocopy machines, and computers were found damaged. Some equipment was reportedly taken to an unknown location.
According to the committee chief, this action came at a time when the organization was preparing to distribute relief supplies to poor families, needy people, and orphaned children ahead of Eid al-Adha. He said that a large number of people visited the headquarters daily to seek assistance and obtain information related to sacrificial meat and Eid clothing.
Al-Souki said that the Jenin Governorate is currently facing a severe economic crisis and rising poverty, due to which a large number of families depend on the committee’s assistance. The organization had recently been preparing a list of families eligible to receive aid.
According to the report, this action came just weeks after Israeli forces had also shut down several charity organizations and committees in the Al-Khalil Governorate in the southern West Bank. On April 15, Israeli soldiers carried out raids in various areas of Al-Khalil and also closed the office of a Zakat Committee located in the town of Idhna.
According to official Palestinian figures, Israeli military operations and raids in the West Bank have intensified since the start of the Gaza war in October 2023. During this period, attacks by the Israeli army and settlers have resulted in the deaths of 1,162 Palestinians, injured more than 12,000 people, and led to the arrest of nearly 23,000 individuals.
(The Feature image is AI Genrated)
